College students should not neglect mental health

It’s often easy to overlook mental health during stressful times, such as when one is in college. It might be easy to eat well, sleep well but if one does not take precautions or time off for oneself to unwind and relax, one might just find that it will exacerbate any existing mental health issues or even develop one. Anxiety and depression are what university students suffer from the most and it is not surprising, due to the mounting pressures of education. Here are a few tips to help students overcome any issues they may have and keep a positive state of mind.

Don’t sweat the small stuff

Being alone in college for the first time, you might feel an overbearing need to be in control of everything because it can get a little overwhelming. The assignments, the new environment, the new responsibilities, even your newfound freedom. While you don’t want to fall into a funk and waste your time away, it is also important that you do not overstretch yourself. Create a to-do list but try to be realistic about it -- you won’t be able to do everything in a single day, so give yourself time and learn how to prioritize. If it isn’t something that needs to be tackled immediately, put it on the backburner. As long as you get the important stuff out of the way, if you miss out on a few tasks, don’t sweat it and definitely don’t beat yourself up over it. You don’t have to be perfect, nobody is.

Join a community of like minded people

While you might feel that joining a club and delegating more time to something that is frivolous when you’re so short of time is not a wise thing to do, sometimes it is the best thing you can do for yourself. When you have a solid support system and friends that are able to support or even give you advice on how they cope, you’ll find your balance soon enough. Sometimes we need a little bit of distraction in order to see things clearly. Furthermore, being able to do what you love is also helpful in diminishing stress. Regardless of what club or community you decide to join, whether it’s the actor’s association or the gym, being surrounded by others who share your passion is healthy and you can get out of whatever negative headspace you have created for yourself. Plus, you will be able to devote some time to something you’re actually passionate about doing and sometimes that makes all the difference, rather than being stuck having to do chores and deal with responsibilities.

If none of these tips are working for you, you might want to look into a rehabilitation center which can help you recenter yourself. Find your peace and detox Austin or take a break and just go home. Sometimes, seeing loved ones and going back to a familiar environment will be able to work wonders for the soul.