Why Growing Students Need More Sleep Than You Think

Content provided.

One of the biggest concerns of parents of teenagers is their kid staying up late. With academic pres-sure, social life, peer pressure, distracting technology and so many other things, students often are often left with less hours in a day than what they think they need, in order to successfully juggle all of it. And in the midst of all these engagements they try to balance, sleep is what gets the brunt of their fast-paced life. It is important that parents ensure their kids get enough sleep every day. Kids need a good balanced diet, time off technology and other distractions and enough activity to get them sleep-ing well at night. Even the bed plays a crucial role. Read reviews on Sleep Junkie and make sure the bed is comfortable and the bedding is clean. It is also a good idea to ensure that kids get their home-work as well as exam, quiz, project preparation done beforehand to avoid unnecessary last-minute stress and late night cram session.

Human beings need six to eight hours of sleep per day for the healthy functioning of the body. It is during sleep that the body relaxes, repairs and regenerates its damaged cells and keeps the body and mind healthy. It is even more important for growing kids as their brain and body are in a stage where they are developing, and sleep deprivation has several extremely harmful effects on kids.

Less sleep can lead to stunted growth

During sleep the bone cells replicate faster leading to a growth in height and stronger muscles. Thus, for growing kids if they skip out on their hours of sleep it can severely impact the growth of the child, thereby resulting in shorter stature and even at times poor muscle mass, weaker bones and other conditions associated with stunted growth.

Exhaustion and lethargy follow sleep deprivation

The body needs sleep to catch up with the exhaustion caused due to day to day activities. It is during hours of sleep that the damaged cells of the body repair themselves and new cells are regenerated which makes us feel refreshed after a nap. Lack of proper sleep doesn’t give the body and the mind the time to rest and replenish, making one feel constantly tired. This can have extremely bad impact on school and college kids who have a strict academic routine to follow.

Poor sleep schedule affects learning

Skipping on sleep can leave a student extremely exhausted, stunts their logical and decision-making skills as well as concentration. This is particularly harmful for students as they find it difficult to concen-trate in class, retain things they learn and reproduce them in exams. This can result in poor grades and low self-esteem.

Risks of mental illnesses are higher

Skipping sleep, especially on a regular basis can cause long term damage to the brain and mental health aggravating conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder etc., especially in younger children as their brains are in a developing stage. In some cases, sleep deprivation can even trigger these conditions.

Lack of sleep can wreck mental and physical health in the long run and can be an indication of several diseases and thus, it is important to seek medical help immediately.

Content provided.