Zain Retherford

Penn State's Zain Retherford takes on Minnesotea's Steve Balise in the Big10 Championships at the Breslin Student Center on the campus of Michigan State on Saturday, March 3.

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — For the second time in three years, the "Zain Train" is getting some additional mileage and making stops in "stations" halfway around the world for the second time in three seasons.

Zain Retherford, who's become the physical manifestation of a train due to his unrelenting pace and no-holds-barred style and work ethic, earned his second United States World Team berth on Saturday night at Final X: Rutgers.

Retherford, who won the first two bouts of the best-of-three series, took on Cornell's Yianni Diakomihalis and avenged a US Open loss to the Big Red sophomore thanks to a 10-4 decision and a 6-6 victory on criteria, respectively.

The former Penn State wrestler Retherford yielded the first two points on a re-attack before tying it up two to end the first period of the first bout.

From there, Retherford secured two takedowns on several driving leg attacks and converted on an ankle lace and leg lace to solidify things with a 10-4 win.

The win, and World team berth come after Retherford took nearly a year off from freestyle competition which Retherford said was for more mental than physical reasons.