2019 Division 1 NCAA Wrestling Championships

Anthony Cassar (285 lbs.) wins against Trent Hillger, of the University of Wisconsin, at the 2019 Division 1 NCAA Wrestling Championships, at the PPG Paints Arena on Friday, March 22.

Anthony Cassar's story has recently become one that any passionate follower of college wrestling has become intimately familiar with.

A textbook underdog for much of his career at Penn State, Cassar recently won both Big Ten and NCAA heavyweight titles in March, following his first full season as a starter and after not competing in the postseason in 2018. 

Cassar, who missed nearly three years due to injury, recently told NJ.com that he found out the NCAA granted him an additional two years of eligibility. 

“I knew there was a chance I could get zero, one or two years back and I was prepared to roll with it either way,” Cassar told NJ.com “The school has been working on it for a couple years, so it was great to get two years back.

The reigning heavyweight champion then went on to say that he was not "100 percent certain" but that as of right now, he's "leaning toward wrestling for Penn State next year," and felt he missed out on not having four years as a starter.

"It would be nice to have another couple matches in front of the Rec Hall crowd. It’s really just an honor to compete there," Cassar told NJ.com "I’ll do what’s best for me.”

For his efforts, Cassar, who is a Rocky Hill, New Jersey, native will be getting a street named after him in his hometown and a banner honoring Cassar will also hang in the gym of Montgomery High School where he competed all four years.