Penn State women's volleyball vs. Oregon

Middle blocker Kaitlyn Hord (23) and setter Jonni Parker (9) chest bump as they return to the court for their next play against Oregon State during Penn State women's volleyball's game against Oregon State at Rec Hall on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2021. Penn State beat Oregon 3-0.

Penn State earned its second victory of the day with a three-set win over previously undefeated West Virginia Friday night.

A wild first set swung the Nittany Lions’ way with late kills from junior outside hitter Anastasiya Kudryashova and a couple of West Virginia attack errors, as Penn State ended up with a 25-22 set win.

The blue and white raced out to an early lead in the second set and never looked back, taking it 25-13.

Penn State had to grind out a tough third set, but ultimately did just that, winning 25-20 to close out the sweep.

Here are three takeaways from the Nittany Lions’ straight-set victory.

Minimizing mistakes

Penn State didn’t have its finest offensive performance against the Mountaineers, but it overcame that by playing a much cleaner game than West Virginia in terms of errors.

After a close first set, the Nittany Lions overpowered West Virginia by limiting their own mishaps and capitalizing on their opportunities.

The blue and white finished with 12 attack errors -- hitting a solid .287 as a team -- while the Mountaineers couldn't get out of their own way at times, recording 28 attack errors.

As a team, West Virginia nearly finished with as many errors as kills (36) and hit just .083.

Nittany Lions’ dominance against the Mountaineers continues

Despite a 10-0 start to the season, West Virginia once again found itself coming up short against Penn State.

With the victory, the Nittany Lions improved to 30-0 all-time against the Mountaineers, and the blue and white haven’t dropped a set to WVU since 1993.

West Virginia had a prime chance to end that streak by taking a first set that was tied several times, but couldn’t get over the hump.

Road warriors

With seven of its 10 non-conference matches on the road, Penn State had to get comfortable playing away from Rec Hall early in the season.

It was an up-and-down journey, but the Nittany Lions ended strong with a pair of wins in Morgantown.

Finishing 4-3 outside of Happy Valley was no easy feat for Russ Rose’s squad, and Penn State has one more contest away from home before a long-awaited return to Rec Hall on Sept. 26 against Ohio State.

MORE VOLLEYBALL COVERAGE