171104_ecf+Haleigh Washington(15)ActionCloseUp.jpg

Haleigh Washington (15) prepares to spike the ball during a match against Rutgers on Nov. 4, Penn State won the match 3 sets to 0.

Four of coach Russ Rose’s former standouts were named to the 30-player preliminary roster for the FIVB Nations League.

Micha Hancock (’14), Megan Courtney (’15), Haleigh Washington (’17), and Simone Lee (’17) earned a Team USA call-up under coach Karch Kiraly.

Hancock, a setter, was a part of the USA team competing in both the Nations League and the FIVB World Championship in 2018. A three-time All-American at Penn State, Hancock was part of a Penn State team winning back-to-back national titles while also being the MVP in the 2013 championship. She also has a National Player of the Year accolade to boast in her senior year.

Micha Hancock

Penn State's Micha Hancock serves during the August 8, 2014 game in Rec Hall.

Courtney will join forces with Hancock again as an outside hitter. They both won two straight NCAA championships and Courtney was the Most Outstanding Player in the 2014 tournament. The two have shared a court together on a national level after their successful collegiate careers as well, as Courtney was with Hancock for the 2016 and 2017 Pan-American Cup runs.

Both Washington and Lee won an NCAA championship as freshmen in 2014. Washington was a three-time All-American while Lee received the accolade twice. They are both newer members on the Team USA setup with their first call-up being in 2018, claiming gold in the Pan-American Cup.

Penn State Women's Volleyball vs. Howard, Simone Lee

Simone Lee (22) spikes the ball during the Penn State Women's Volleyball match vs. Howard at Rec Hall on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017. Penn State defeated Howard 3-1.

The Nations Cup features 16 qualified countries drawn into different pools of four in the five weeks of play, ensuring each team matches up with the 15 other teams. The teams will travel the world, going from Lincoln, Nebraska to Hong Kong to Turkey to name a few countries.

Team USA will cut its roster down to 16 before heading on the road to Bulgaria and Italy to start. It will then compete in Lincoln, Nebraska before finishing up group play China and Russia over five consecutive weekends starting May 21. The final round is scheduled to be at Nanjing, China from July 3 to 7. The team will look to defend their title.