Women's Hockey vs RIT

Coach Josh Brandwene gets aggressive during the women's hockey game against RIT at the Pegula Ice Arena on Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016. Penn State won 2-0.

After a little over five seasons behind Penn State's bench, Josh Brandwene is leaving the women's hockey program.

Brandwene is retiring from coaching college hockey after posting a 45-105-19 record in his five-and-a-half seasons in charge of the Nittany Lions, Penn State Athletics announced in a press release early Wednesday morning. 

Brandwene hasn't stood behind the bench since January when he took a medical leave of absence and assistant Dean Jackson took over as interim head coach. Athletics director Sandy Barbour said that a national search will immediately begin for a new coach. 

Last March, the Daily Collegian reported allegations of coaching misconduct made by former players against Brandwene, though it is unclear whether the allegations and his retiring are at-all related.

Barbour responded to the Collegian's story soon after it had been published and eventually decided to give him another season in charge.

“We’ve had, as a result of this article on Monday, folks step forward and give us some very positive assessments and frankly some of them have flat out refuted some of the specifics of what’s been reported,” Barbour told the Collegian at the time. “I think that makes it even all the more important that we make sure we take a really, really good look at this.”

On Wednesday, Bradwene told GoPSUSports that spending more time with his wife and daughter factored into his decision to retire. 

"I've been blessed to have Leona's unwavering support for my coaching career for 25 years," Brandwene said. "It's my turn to make a change that will support her career and move into a role that enables me to spend more time with our daughter, Sophie."

Brandwene was named the first coach of the Nittany Lions in May 2011, as the team transitioned to Division I status and began competing in the 2012-13 season.

"I am very appreciative of Josh's contributions and his efforts in getting the program started," Barbour told gopsusports.com "I am grateful for his commitment to comprehensive excellence in all aspects of the program, including strong academic achievement and community engagement. We thank Josh for his service to Penn State and wish him the best with his future endeavors."