Penn State Women's Basketball vs. Iowa, Frazier (4) Shoots

Frazier (4) shoots the ball during the game against Iowa at the Bryce Jordan Center on Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019. The Lady Lions fell to the Hawkeyes 61-81.

With perhaps its largest crowd of the season on hand, the BJC was rocking early on for the 13th annual Play4Kay Pink Zone.

“It was incredible,” coach Coquese Washington said. “It’s our favorite game to play because we know the energy that’s in the building.”

With the fans behind them, the Lady Lions put up a great effort but were ultimately defeated by Michigan 66-62.

Penn State came out with plenty of energy to start this one, turning some tenacious defense into offense on the other end.

The Lady Lions forced eight Wolverine turnovers in the first quarter and converted on the other end.

Fourteen of their first 16 points came off of those turnovers and Penn State found itself in command of this game early.

“We just pressured the ball, kept them in front and tried to contain,” junior guard Siyeh Frazier said.

After a struggling to score against the Penn State defense, Michigan was in search of an answer on the offensive side of the floor.

The Wolverines found their an answer late in the second quarter as Hailey Brown carried the Wolverines to pull them within two at the half.

Brown caught fire from the three point line, going 4-for-4 from beyond the arc and had a game high 14 going into the locker room.

The Hamilton Ontario native finished the afternoon with 20 points while shooting 6-of-8 from deep.

After a back and forth third quarter, the Lady Lions had to come into the final period with the same intensity that the team had right when the game began.

The teams traded blows but ultimately the game would come down to a final possession with Penn State down two with the ball.

But Penn State missed two opportunities at the basket and would never get the chance to tie the game again.

“We just have to figure out how to get those one or two possessions in our favor to close out these games,” coach Washington added.

Penn State falls to 10-13 on the season and will travel to Northwestern on Thursday.