Women's Basketball v. Purdue, Jaida Travascio-Green (31)

Guard Jaida Travascio-Green (31) shoots a free throw during a game against Purdue at the Bryce Jordan Center on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019. Penn State won the game 72-61.

On Senior Day for Penn State, five Lady Lions said their goodbyes to the Bryce Jordan Center as they played their final home game of their career.

Penn State was not able to make it sweet for those seniors and capture a final victory, as it was defeated by Nebraska 79-74.

Nebraska got off to a hot start, taking an early 9-2 lead in the first quarter with the Lady Lions’ best player, Teniya Page, watching from the sidelines with her lingering ankle injury.

But then Page came off the bench to many people’s surprise, and made an impact right away.

On her noticeably hurt ankle, Page ran the offense and look to distribute as well as score, leading to a Penn State comeback late in the first quarter.

The 2,000 point scorer dropped 22 in her final game in Happy Valley and persevere through what looked to be a painful injury.

But the Lady Lion run was short lived, as Nebraska’s Taylor Kissinger got hot from beyond the arc, going 3/3 in the half and leading a Cornhusker charge going into the locker room.

Nebraska held on to that lead for most of the third but Penn State continued to stick around and came back once again in the fourth quarter.

The teams went back and forth in the final minutes but the Cornhuskers were ultimately able to hold on to a game which had significant meaning to them as the team clinched the six seed in the Big Ten Tournament.

The Lady Lions are locked into the 12th seed in the tournament, and will take on Wisconsin, a team which they have had success against in its two previous matchups this season. Tipoff for the opening series will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 6, in Indianapolis. 

Penn State finishes the regular season with a 12-17 record and the five seniors will likely go without a single NCAA tournament appearance in their careers.