Women's Basketball vs. Lock Haven, Coquese Washington (coach)

Penn State head coach Coquese Washington speaks to her team during timeout of the women's basketball game at the Bryce Jordan Center on Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018. Penn State defeated Lock Haven 92-57.

There will be a new figure at the helm of Penn State women's basketball next season.

Penn State athletics announced that the Lady Lions and head coach Coquese Washington have "agreed to a change in leadership" after Penn State was bounced from the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament.

The Lady Lions went just 12-18 this season and have not made the NCAA Tournament since 2013-14.

"I am very appreciative of Coquese's contributions to the Lady Lion basketball program and Penn State," Penn State Vice President of Athletics Sandy Barbour said in a statement. "She is committed to developing young women, has been impactful in our community and we are grateful for her dedication. We thank her for 12 years of service to Penn State, and wish Coquese and her family all the best in their future endeavors. We both agree that the program is not where it needs to be, and this change of leadership is best at this time."

Washington won three Big Ten titles in her 12 years with the Lady Lions.

She made a pair of Sweet 16 appearances.

"I've had an amazing run at Penn State," Washington said in a statement. "I'm grateful that I've had the opportunity to work with some wonderful people, especially the talented and dedicated staff members who were with me along this journey. I was fortunate to coach some extremely talented players along the way and will remember the fantastic experiences we enjoyed together. I am thankful for the Penn State and Lady Lion fans who supported us strongly year-in and year-out. I will always look back at my time at Penn State with fond memories while taking on this next chapter with my family."

David Eckert is a junior studying print and digital journalism and Spanish at Penn State. He has served previously as a sports editor for the Daily Collegian, but currently he works as the Collegian's sports columnist and is a podcast host.