Women's Basketball Youngstown Banks (3)

Guard Brianna Banks (3) drives against Youngstown State guard Nikki Arbanas (4) during their game at the Bryce Jordan Center on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015. Penn State won 68-51.

Penn State was looking for its first road-win against St. Bonaventure (8-2), but a 70-60 defeat did not allow that goal to be met. The Lady Lions (4-6) are now 0-5 on the road.

Early on, the Lions acquired an early 4-3 lead before St. Bonaventure scored 12 consecutive points with 4:02 remaining in the first quarter. The Lions pulled within nine to end the quarter at 19-10.

With the Bonnies leading 27-15 late in the second quarter, the Lions responded with an 8-0 run. In addition to a pair of free throws from Lindsey Spann and a pair of Brianna Banks jumpers, the Lions trimmed the lead to six points with 2:58 to play.

However, St. Bonaventure closed the half on a 7-3 run to secure a 34-26 lead.

After a Spann rebound and 3-pointer, the Bonnies answered with 10 straight points to push the lead to 44-29 with 6:32 remaining. A speedy third quarter ended with the Lions trailing by 14 at 54-40.

The Lions opened the fourth quarter strong and pulled within two points with 6:20 of action left. During the 14-2 run, six different Lions contributed points, four of which were from Spann.

The Bonnies scored two points before a pair of Banks free throws pulled the lead within two, 58-56, once again. However, a St. Bonaventure 12-4 stretch closed out the 70-60 defeat over the Lions.

Heading into the game, coach Coquese Washington was looking for a low number of turnovers. The Lions committed only 13 compared to the 16 they forced.

Banks, who posted a career-high 26 points, added three rebounds, two steals and one blocked shot in a career-high of 34 minutes of action against the Bonnies.

In addition to a game-high three steals, Spann tallied 17 points, which marked her fourth straight competition in double figures.

The Lions will return to the Bryce Jordan Center to face Sacred Heart for a noon tipoff on Dec. 20.

Email reporter

Follow on Twitter

More stories