Men's Volleyball vs. St. Francis, Falck Lauten (17) Dives

Falck Lauten (17) dives for the ball during the game vs. Saint Francis University on Tuesday, Mar. 26, 2019 at Rec Hall. Penn State swept Saint Francis three sets to none.

The first part of business was taken care of Friday night as Penn State increased its win streak to five games.

The Nittany Lions had a mindset to walk away with a win against Charleston despite any factor that could put a stop to it, and they did just that.

“Our poise and composure no matter who was on the court was really what had shown through,” coach Mark Pavlik said. “We certainly were not at our best but we were good enough to win.”

A slow start for Penn State turned into a sweep of straight sets as Penn State began to set the tone.

“We came out playing their game and the way they wanted us to play instead of playing the game that we know,” Cal Fisher said.

Pavlik felt his team struggled in the beginning of the match with Charleston limiting one of Penn State’s key offensive players and the energy level of the two teams was not matched.

“I thought in the beginning they came out immediately wanting to take Jason away from us and our energy level did not match theirs at first,” Pavlik said. “We tried wearing them down a little bit to put us in a position to score some points and these guys took care of that.”

Henrik Falck Lauten, a valuable asset to Friday’s win, completed nine kills and a hit percentage of .421 feels that there is a very distinguished way to how the team plays.

“Our game is more clean such as, pass, set and hit when trying to run our offense,” Falck Lauten said.”I would say our game is like fine machinery.”

In all three sets, it came down to the final points as to which team would pull out victorious. Penn State relied on its core talents to finish tonight’s match strong.

“I think it was experience and that we were a little bit more athletic,” Pavlik said.

“When it got close, reality sunk in and opened up our mind a little bit that we had to do something here in order to walk away with the set,” Falck Lauten added.

In set one the Golden Eagles had an early lead at 8-1. Penn State came back with the energy it was missing and reversed this lead to win the set 25-21.

Set two consisted of back and forth play that Penn State was able to capitalize on taking the set 26-24.

In the final set yet again Penn State pulled away to win the match as Brett Wildman closed the set with a service ace 26-24.

With senior night and one of Penn State’s toughest rivals being less than 24 hours away, the Nittany Lions will not be looking to change anything about how their going to compete against George Mason in search of home court advantage for the EIVA tournament.

“I do not think we need to change anything to be honest, it’s hard to compete against these kind of teams but we just need to keep on doing what we do in practice and work hard,” Falck Lauten said.