Walter Bahr

Walter Bahr before a Philadelphia Union soccer game. (AP Photo/ Drew Hallowell)

Walter Bahr, the last living member of the the U.S. soccer team that upset England in the 1950 World Cup, died Monday at the age of 91 in Boalsburg, Pennsylvania, from complications that resulted from a broken hip, according to his granddaughter Lindsey D. Bahr.

Bahr appeared in all three of the U.S. team's matches and provided the assist on the lone goal of the team's 1-0 upset of England in the final held in Brazil.

"We are saddened by the loss of Walter Bahr, U.S. Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro tweeted. "He left an enduring legacy as a coach, mentor, friend and colleague to so many in the game."

The Philadelphia native was inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame in 1976 and was the first U.S. player to appear in qualifiers for three different FIFA World Cups. 

Following his career as a player, Bahr coached the Philadelphia Spartans, the Philadelphia Ukrainians and Temple University before accepting the job as head coach at Penn State in 1974.

During his 14 years at the helm for the Nittany Lions, Penn State went 185-66-22 and made 12 NCAA tournament appearances. Bahr was named NSCAA National Coach of the Year in 1979.

Bahr and his 1950 U.S. team were depicted in the 2005 movie "The Game of Their Lives," where Wes Bentley portrayed the defender.

Two of Bahr's sons, Chris and Matt, played soccer and football at Penn State and went on to each win Super Bowl rings in the NFL. 

Thomas Schlarp is a senior studying Print and Digital Journalism with a business minor. Transferred from Georgetown University to pursue the dream of working long nights for low pay in the press box.