Chris Sabia

Penn State's Chris Sabia (25) reaches out to try and claim possession of the ball next to Ohio State's Dan Rooney (26) during the game at the Penn State Lacrosse Complex on Sunday, April 2, 2017. Penn State defeated Ohio State 9-4 in their first B1G matchup of the year.

Penn State exhibited a strong preview to the upcoming spring season after Friday night’s blue and white scrimmage, where Team White came away the winners, 12-9.

After losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament a year ago, the Nittany Lions are looking to take the program a step further and play for a national championship.

“I thought this was a good start,” coach Jeff Tambroni said. “Obviously we have a long way to go.”

Midfielder Robby Black set the pace for Team White and scored within the first five minutes of play. Attacker Grant Ament scored another for Team White with 3:19 left, leaving the first period with a score of 2-0.

Team White kept control through the second period, scoring six goals against Team Blue. But Team Blue was able to sneak three goals past the white team keeper, entering halftime with a score of 8-3.

The blue and white went back and forth in the third period, with no team maintaining possession much longer than the other. With three goals from Team White and two goals from Team Blue, Team White entered the final period with a lead of 11-5.

“It’s the first time we really got out there and got after it,” junior Chris Sabia said.

Team White came into the fourth period strong with shots taken by Conor Smith and John Nostrant, but Team Blue was able to keep control.

With goals from Mac O’Keefe, Nick Spillane, Bobby Burns, and Dylan Foulds, Team Blue managed to score four goals in the last seven minutes of play, making the score 11-9.

Team White squeezed in one final goal with 13.3 seconds left, to make the final score 12-9.

The Nittany Lions feel confident in the upcoming season after Friday night’s scrimmage.

“I was encouraged with the enthusiasm that they played with tonight,” Tambroni said.

But, players also feel they have a lot more work to do before spring practices roll around.

“We haven’t really had the opportunity to play in a lot of game-like situations,” Ament said. “But I was happy with our work.”

RELATED CONTENT