Men's Ice Hockey vs. Michigan State Kelly Bypass

Michigan State forward Tanner Kelly (26) bypasses Penn State defense Jimmy Dowd Jr. (6) during the Penn State Men's Ice Hockey Game vs. Michigan State on Saturday, Dec. 4, 2021, at the Pegula Ice Arena in University Park, Pa. Penn State was defeated 4-3 against Michigan State. 

After a controversial ending to Friday night’s game, Notre Dame ended Saturday’s game in stunning fashion, leaving no doubt in anyone’s mind.

Max Ellis found twine with 0.2 seconds left in the 3-on-3 overtime period to give the Fighting Irish the 5-4 win in an offensive explosion from both sides.

After going down not even 90 seconds in, Penn State answered with three straight goals, but Notre Dame lit the lamp two times after that to knot things up at three.

Guy Gadowksy’s squad took a one-goal lead into the third period, but Notre Dame scored late to force overtime and eventually win.

Here are three takeaways from Penn State’s dropped series to No. 13 Notre Dame.

Dowd dominates

Sophomore defender Jimmy Dowd Jr. provided a huge spark for the blue and white’s offense Saturday night.

The Nittany Lion scored his second and third goals of the year for Penn State.

The sophomore came into the contest as the team’s highest-scoring defender with 12 points and extended that lead by adding another two to his total.

While both of the defender’s points on the evening were goals, Dowd Jr. came into the contest tied for the team lead in assists with senior forward Ben Copeland, with 11 on the campaign.

Saturday’s performance ended a three-game point drought for the sophomore, a streak that was tied for his season long.

Stressful series

Penn State and Notre Dame traded offensive blows throughout their two-game series.

The Nittany Lions and Fighting Irish combined for a total of 15 goals in the pair of games.

The back-and-forth series even saw the pair of games tied four separate times, including three such instances in the Saturday affair.

The series also proved to be one full of runs, with six instances of a single team scoring two or more goals in a row, including Penn State’s three straight to answer Notre Dame’s game-opening tally on Saturday.

The cherry on top was Game 2’s overtime where the Irish walked away victorious after scoring with 0.2 seconds left.

Staying out of the box

For the first time all season, the blue and white completely avoided its penalty kill.

The Nittany Lions came into the contest with the 13th-highest penalty minutes per game in the country, which was also good enough for second-highest in the Big Ten behind Michigan.

The Nittany Lions previous low in penalty minutes was set in both games against Ohio State, where they committed just two minor infractions in each contest.

By committing no penalties against the Irish on Saturday, the blue and white also set a season record for its lowest penalty-minute total across a two-game series, after spending just six minutes in the box in the first game.

MORE HOCKEY COVERAGE