McAdam (34) save

Eamon McAdam (34) makes a save with his pads during the game against Michigan State at Pegula Ice Arena on Friday, Jan. 16, 2015. Penn State tied Michigan State 2-2 but lost in a shootout.

There’s no place like home for Penn State goaltender Eamon McAdam.

The Perkasie native and New York Islanders draft pick (4th round — 2013 NHL Entry Draft) returned to the greater Philadelphia area and made his presence felt at the Wells Fargo Center, home to the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers.

McAdam stopped 30 shots, including 16 in the second period, en route to the Lions’ 4-0 win over the Vermont Catamounts on Sunday. For this reason, he has been selected as The Daily Collegian’s Athlete of the Week.

McAdam moved to 6-1-0 on the season, which is the best record of any goaltender in the Big Ten, and he recorded the Nittany Lions’ first shutout since Feb. 14, 2014 when Matt Skoff held Michigan scoreless, 4-0, at Pegula Ice Arena.

Lions’ coach Guy Gadowsky wasn’t surprised by McAdam’s stellar play in the junior goaltender’s own backyard.

“It was very fitting that [McAdam’s shutout] comes at the Wells Fargo Center,” Gadowsky said via press release. “I thought his play was extremely poised. He made some really big saves look fairly easy early. I think that really set the tone for all of us, not just early, but he made the saves late, too.”

McAdam is currently holding a personal shutout streak of 107 minutes, 13 seconds, which encompasses the last five periods of hockey he has played. McAdam also earned Big Ten hockey’s First Star of the Week honors for his performance.

Email reporter

Follow on Twitter

More stories