Penn State Men's Hockey vs. Notre Dame, Brandon Brio (10)

Penn State forward Brandon Brio (10) breaks away with the puck while trailed by Notre Dame's Jake Evans (18) during the Penn State men's hockey game vs. Notre Dame at the Pegula Ice Arena on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018. Penn State tied Notre Dame in overtime with Notre Dame taking the extra Big Ten point in the shoot out.

The Big Ten conference announced Thursday changes to its overtime rules which will now include a 3-on-3 overtime after the regular 5-on-5 overtime period.

In conference games this season that remain a tie after the 60 minutes of regulation, the standard five minute 5-on-5 sudden death overtime period will be played just like in past seasons.

But, if the game remains tied after this additional period, instead of going straight to a shootout, an additional 3-on-3 overtime period will be played.

The 3-on-3 overtime period will also be five minutes and sudden death.

If the Big Ten matchup if still tied after this second overtime period, a shootout will determine who receives the extra point just like in past seasons.

The addition of an extra overtime period will change the way that points are awarded.

Just like in previous years if a team wins in regulation or in the 5-on-5 overtime period, they will receive a full three points in the contest.

If the game is tied following the first overtime period both teams will receive one point.

The winner of either the 3-on-3 overtime period or the shootout will get an additional point.

These rule changes only impact Big Ten conference games.

Nonconference games that go to overtime will only feature a five minute 5-on-5 sudden death period. If the game remains tied after this period, the game is over.

The Big Ten joins the NCHC and WCHA who currently employ some form of a 3-on-3 overtime for its respective conference games.

In 2015, the NHL adapted a 3-on-3 overtime policy which has quickly become a fan favorite in the past few seasons since it was introduced.

Penn State opens Big Ten play on Nov. 2 when the Nittany Lions travel to Ohio State.