409 Hockey Helmets

Penn State Men's Hockey wears 409 logos on their helmets during the Michigan State game on Friday, Jan. 16, 2015.

Penn State Athletic Director Sandy Barbour took to Twitter to explain her disagreement with Penn State men’s hockey’s move to wear “409” stickers in honor of Joe Paterno’s wins that were restored that same day in its tie against Michigan State on Friday.

When one person tweeted at her questioning the stickers, Barbour agreed with the person, saying it was “inappropriate and insensitive. It’s been corrected.”

According to CBS’s Dennis Dodd, the Penn State men’s basketball team was supposed to wear shirts in warmups that said “409.”

However, the team did not.

After the Friday night men’s hockey game, Penn State's Guy Gadowsky was asked about the decision to wear the stickers.

“We received some good news,” Gadowsky said. “Something that the students were excited about. It was a way to join them in something that they felt was positive. It was a one-time thing.”

He was then asked if there was any hesitation.

“It was a group decision,” he said. “And certainly there are things to talk about.”

UPDATE: 8:45 p.m.

Alissa Clendenen, sports information director for the men's basketball team, said via email the team considered wearing shirts that said "409," but didn't.

"The team considered wearing the shirts; however, the decision was made against it prior to Saturday morning. Ultimately, we wanted to keep the focus on our team and our game."

UPDATE: 9:25 p.m.

Barbour took to Twitter about the tweet.