Penn State men basketball media day, Izaiah Brockington (12)

Guard Izaiah Brockington (12) poses during Penn State men's basketball media day at the Bryce Jordan Center on Tuesday Oct. 16, 2018.

Regardless of Lamar Stevens’ upcoming decision to remain in the NBA Draft or return to school, Penn State will have a void to fill in its starting lineup.

Josh Reaves –– Penn State’s defensive stalwart, steals master the all-around heart and soul of the team for the past four seasons –– is gone.

And if Stevens doesn’t opt to return for his senior season, the Nittany Lions will have a Grand Canyon-sized hole on the wing. But as Pat Chambers and his staff look to reload in the offseason, two talented wings will enter the fold in Izaiah Brockington and Seth Lundy.

Luckily for Penn State, Brockington has drawn plenty of comparisons to Reaves and Lundy has been compared to Stevens every time his name has been brought up. But Brockington and Lundy do have something in common.

“[Lundy] and Brockington are just rock solid with Big Ten ready bodies,” Chambers said earlier this season.

Chambers has mentioned Lundy’s build a handful of occasions since he officially signed on to the program. It’s clear that Lundy is going to be a key piece of the rotation next season, even if Stevens decides to come back.

“He’s got a Big Ten-ready body,” Chambers reaffirmed at his season wrap-up press conference Tuesday. “He’s got Lamar’s body when Lamar was a freshman.”

But the difference between Lundy and Stevens is the former’s ability to shoot. Both Chambers and Stevens admitted that Lundy has a shot that’s going to translate to playing in the Big Ten.

Men's Basketball vs. Nebraska, Lamar Stevens

Lamar Stevens drives up the court against a double team at the Bryce Jordan Center on Tuesday Feb. 19, 2019. Penn State defeated the Corn Huskers 95-71.

“Seth can play multiple positions and he can really shoot the ball,” Chambers said.

“He’s tough, he’s really tough and he can shoot,” Stevens added.

The Lundy-Stevens comparisons go well beyond their similar body types as well. There’s also the obvious fact that Lundy will be the fifth Roman Catholic player to make his way to Happy Valley in the last six years.

Lundy won his third Philadelphia Catholic League title as a senior and leaves Roman as one of the winningest players in school history.

Chambers was in attendance at the Palestra when Lundy put up 18 points, including three 3-pointers, in the win over La Salle to capture the PCL title.

“He played fantastic,” Chambers said.

Chambers mentioned on Tuesday that he expects Lundy to arrive on campus for the second summer session.

But as for the Nittany Lions’ other big addition, he’s already on campus.

Brockington had to sit out the 2018-19 season after transferring from St. Bonaventure a year ago.

He was on campus and in practice all season and Chambers is already looking forward to what he’ll bring next season.

“Izaiah gives us something that I don’t know if we truly had last year –– somebody who can really score in a short shot clock, maybe off the bounce, get his own shot when we need him,” Chambers said.

Brockington has been drawing comparisons to Reaves since he arrived and they go beyond the obvious fact that they’re both lefties.

“He’s just as, if not more athletic than Josh,” Chambers said. “I really like what Izaiah brings to practice. He’s shooting the ball well from 3. He’s driving the ball hard, he’s a dunking machine.”

Of course, Brockington and Lundy won’t be able to fully make up for the loss of Reaves and the potential loss of Stevens. But the program is headed toward a place where it is consistently adding talent, year after year.

Now, if Stevens decides to stay, expectations could quickly rise for next season. 

“Things are really starting to move in the right direction for us,” Chambers said on Tuesday.

But then came the qualifier.

“Again, if it all works out,” Chambers said with a smile.