Baseball, UMass Lowell, Biasi (38)

Left Handed Pitcher Dante Biasi (38) pitches the ball during their game on Friday, March 15, 2019 at Medlar Field.

Penn State left-handed pitcher Dante Biasi is joining the professional ranks.

The Kansas City Royals selected the southpaw with the 169th overall pick (sixth round) of the 2019 MLB Draft on Tuesday. He is the first Nittany Lion to be selected in this year's draft.

The pick marks the highest selection for any Penn State player since 2010 and any pitcher since 2008. Furthermore, no left-handed pitcher in program history has ever been selected as high as Biasi.

Biasi was a member of the Nittany Lions for three years, pitching for two seasons. The lefty began his collegiate career as a medical redshirt while recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Biasi joined the Penn State starting rotation as a redshirt freshman in 2018, making 14 appearances. He went 3-6 with a 5.20 ERA.

As a redshirt sophomore, the lefty blossomed into the Nittany Lions' ace. Biasi went 3-6 with a 2.55 ERA while leading Penn State in both innings pitched and strikeouts.

Biasi fanned 102 batters during the 2019 campaign, the fifth-highest single-season total in program history. Biasi recorded more than 10 strikeouts in three different starts.

Biasi was originally drafted by the Chicago Cubs with the 674th overall pick (22nd round) of the 2016 MLB Draft, but instead decided to become a Nittany Lion. He was drafted 505 positions higher on Tuesday than three years ago.

Dante will now join his older brother and former Penn State pitcher Sal Biasi in the minor leagues. Coincidentally, Sal was also drafted by Kansas City in the 11th round of the 2017 MLB Draft, but now plays for the West Virginia Power -- the Class A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners.