Penn State Baseball vs UMass Lowell, Bailey Dees (44) pitches in the snow

Penn State pitcher Bailey Dees (44) pitches through the snow flurries during the baseball game against UMass Lowell at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park on Saturday, March 16, 2019. The Nittany Lions defeated the River Hawks 7-6 in walk-off fashion.

On Wednesday, Penn State will look to make its homestand a winning one.

The Nittany Lions are 3-3 on their current home stretch and will try to conclude their seven consecutive games at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park with a victory. The blue and white will take on nonconference opponent Towson in a midweek tilt on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.

Penn State has found great success this season in non-Big Ten contests, posting a 17-5 record. However, the Nittany Lions have sputtered in their last four nonconference matchups, going just 2-2.

On the flip side, the Tigers are struggling. Towson has lost six of its last eight games and is 12-34 on the year.

The Tigers are 4-21 in away contests and 0-2 against Power Five opponents this season. Towson fell to current-No. 23 West Virginia in February and current-No. 16 North Carolina State in March.

Penn State and the Tigers share just one common opponent – Bucknell. The Nittany Lions defeated the Bison in April, while Towson lost to Bucknell the following week.

Wednesday’s pitching matchup will feature a pair of right-handers. Senior Dean Stramara will man the bump for the Tigers, making his first appearance of 2019.

Sophomore Bailey Dees will take the ball for Penn State in his second midweek start of the year. Dees was supposed to start last Sunday’s game against Rutgers, but the contest was canceled due to rain.

Baseball v. Minnesota, Bailey Dees (44)

Pitcher Bailey Dees (44) reads his catcher's signal during the first game of a double header against Minnesota. The Nittany Lions lost the game 7-5 at Medlar Field on Sunday, March 24, 2019.

The matchup will also feature a battle of dual-sport athletes, a rarity at the NCAA Division I level. Nittany Lions right fielder Mac Hippenhammer will face off against Towson outfielder Tom Flacco, as both players also split time with their respective football teams.

Flacco is the younger brother of former Baltimore Ravens and current Denver Broncos quarterback Joe Flacco. Tom his hitting .228 on the season. The debate rages on: Is he elite like his brother?  

Hippenhammer is a wide receiver on coach James Franklin’s squad, and has played in 31 games on the diamond this spring. The sophomore ranks third on the team with a .262 batting average.

On the opposite side, Flacco was the Tigers’ starting quarterback last fall. The redshirt junior has worked out his arm plenty with the baseball team, playing in 39 contests and while posting a perfect fielding percentage this season.