Baseball v. Minnesota, Bailey Dees (44)

Pitcher Bailey Dees (44) throws a pitch during the first game of a double header against Minnesota. The Nittany Lions lost the game 7-5 at Medlar Field on Sunday, March 24, 2019.

In the team's first game since Saturday, Penn State needed to use five pitchers against Towson on Wednesday night, but it still wasn't enough as the Nittany Lions fell by a final of 6-4, despite jumping out to an early lead. 

The offense got going early for Penn State in the first inning after Mason Nadeau reached on an infield single. After stealing second base, Nadeau scored the first run of the game after a single to center field by Justin Williams.

The Nittany Lions kept their offense going the next inning, scoring three runs off two hits. Shea Sbranti got it started after reaching first base on an error, followed by a walk by Mac Hippenhammer. Conlin Hughes then singled through the left side, knocking in Sbranti to make it a 2-0 game. Jordan Bowersox then walked, loading up the bases. Justin Williams then came up and singled to center field, knocking in Hughes and Hippenhammer to give Penn State a 4-0 lead.

Tyler Shingledecker came in to pitch for Dees in the third inning for Penn State. Shingledecker got through the third without allowing a run, but the Towson offense began to pick up in the fourth inning when they scored a run off two hits. Noah Cabrera reached first on a fielding error by Penn State, followed by a single by Jack Rotteveel, moving Cabrera over to third. Dirk masters then singled to center field, driving in Cabrera.

Towson kept it going in the fifth inning, scoring three runs off two hits. After Tom Flacco walked, Zach Piazza singled to left field, putting runners on second and first for the Tigers. Brad Powers then grounded out to first base, putting runners on second and third. Flacco then scored after a wild pitch, making it a 4-2 game. Noah Cabrera then doubled to left field, knocking in Piazza.

Jared Freilich came in to pitch for Penn State, relieving Shingledecker. However, the Tigers continued to score runs after a sacrifice fly by Jack Rotteveel, allowing Cabrera to tag up and score to tie the ball game 4-4.

The Tigers took the lead in the sixth inning after scoring a run off two hits. Dirk Masters got it started with a single to left field, and later stole second base. Tom Flacco then grounded out, moving masters over to third. Zach Piazza then hit another single, knocking in Masters to make it a 5-4 game.

The pitching on both sides battled it out in the next couple innings, as neither team were able to score more runs. Kyle Virbitsky took over for Gagnon in the eighth inning, and remained Penn State’s pitcher for the remainder of the game.

In the top of the ninth, the Tigers scored another run off one hit. After Brad Powers was hit with a pitch, Noah Cabrera hit an infield single, putting runners on second and first. Trent Gast-Woodward then walked, and advanced all the way to third after a throwing error, allowing a run to score.

That would ultimately be all for the offense, as the Tigers took home a 6-4 over Penn State. The Nittany Lions will have a few days off before their three-game series with Ohio State this weekend, with the first game in Columbus on Friday at 6:35 p.m.