Penn State Baseball vs. Lafayette, Conlin Hughes (2)

Infielder Conlin Hughes (2) hits the ball during the baseball game against Lafayette College at Medlar Field on Wednesday, April 24, 2019. Penn State won 3-2.

Penn State baseball picked up where it left off from last night’s game after it was suspended due to rain, playing Rutgers in continuation of game one of the three-game set. The teams then played a second game at 3:30 p.m.

Penn State won the first game today 5-4 in extra innings after Rutgers held a 2-1 lead at the point of the delay, but fell to Rutgers 5-1 in game two. Conor Larkin took over for Dante Biasi at pitcher for Penn State in the first game, throwing a total of six innings.

Larkin pitched well through four innings, striking out six batters. However, it was Rutgers who scored two runs in the top of the seventh inning when David Soto reached on a throwing error, allowing Carmen Sclafani and Kevin Welsh to score to make it a 4-1 game.

The Nittany Lions got two runs back in the next inning after Ryan Ford got on and advanced home after a passed ball. Ryan Sloniger then hit a sacrifice fly to left field, allowing Justin Williams to tag up and score to make it a 4-3 ball game.

The next inning, Shea Sbranti came in to pinch hit for Derek Orndorff, and he hit a double down the right field line to begin the inning. Austin Riggins came in to pinch run for Sbranti, and he scored after scoring after a wild pitch.

Mason Mellott came in to pitch in the ninth inning for Penn State. He went on to finish the game, pitching into the 11th inning without allowing any runs. In the bottom of the 11th, Penn State loaded the bases for Parker Hendershot, who hit a sacrifice fly to win the game after Justin Williams tug up and scored.

Eric Mock got the start on the mound for Penn State in the second game, pitching six total innings with nine strikeouts.

The offense was slow through the first few innings for Penn State until the fourth inning, when Kris Kremer reached on a throwing error and advanced to second base. Justin Williams walked, followed by a groundout by Shea Sbranti, who was able to move Williams and Kremer to second and third. Parker Hendershot then came up and hit a sacrifice fly to left field, allowing Kremer to tag up and score the first run of the game.

Kyle Virbitsky came in to relieve Mock in the seventh inning, which was when Rutgers offense began to heat up. After Tyler McNamara walked, Kevin Blum hit an infield single to put runners on second and first. Mike Nyisztor then walked, loading up the bases for Kevin Welsh, who hit a single. Blum and McNamara scored on the single by Welsh, as Rutgers took a 2-1 lead.

Hutch Gagnon came in to relieve Virbitsky the next inning, and Rutgers kept their offense going. After Luke Bowerbank walked, he stole second base and later scored after a single by Victor Valderrama to make it a 3-1 game. Valderrama was able to advance to second after the throw home, and later advanced to third after a wild pitch. Tyler McNamara singled to third, followed by a suicide squeeze bunt by Kevin Blum to score Valderrama and make it a 4-1 game.

In the top of the ninth, Brendan Mullins came in to relieve Gagnon for Penn State. Rutgers scored another run after an RBI single by Luke Bowerbank, knocking in Alex Russo. That would be all for the offense, as Rutgers defeated the Nittany Lions 5-1.

The final game of the series will be tomorrow at 11 a.m.