Auxiliary & Business Service units are involved with the University's daily operations in almost every area, and are integral to the success of both the organization and Penn State.

Campus Dining

As we welcome students back to University Park (many for the first time!), Penn State Dining would like to give you a glimpse into what you can expect the next few months!

Employment - The Residential Dining hiring office will again be looking for motivated students to join one of our five locations (East Food District, Pollock Dining Commons, South Food District, North Food District, and West Food District). We have been working on many exciting incentives that will continue this fall including frequent increases (up to $1.50/year) and opportunities in our Student Management Program. We will also be offering team meal discounts for each shift worked at breakfast, lunch, or dinner and free refueling snack stations every shift. We offer an amazing starting rate ($10.00/hour, effective 8/11) and flexible scheduling with a requirement to work as little as 2 shifts per week. It’s a great resume builder and an excellent way to get involved on campus! For more information, and to apply, visit: http://foodservices.psu.edu/residential-dining-student-employment.

New Concepts – Residential Dining has had a busy summer and is excited to unveil the new Market Pollock (formerly The Mix). The space will feature an expanded marketplace with a wide variety of convenience items and groceries, new menu features, and the second on-campus location of The Edge coffee shop. A grand opening celebration is planned for mid-September and will feature sampling and giveaways. A new BOWL concept is in the works for East Food District this fall and will offer students a wide variety of acai, overnight oats, oatmeal, and poke bowls. Sisu will now feature Starbucks coffee including popular Chameleon Cold Brew options. Stay tuned—great things are happening!

Events - We are excited to offer some fun special events this year. No need to wait until fall for the limited-time offerings! We have pop-up events planned where we’ll be welcoming #PSU2023 with Penn State Bakery snacks and giveaways at the Welcome Week Kickoff and outside Medlar Field. There are also 4 special Taco Tuesday events at the Rolling Lion in Pollock Quad. You’ll be able to join in the fun June 25, July 2, July 9, and July 16 for lunch from 11a-1p! This fall, we will be kicking off our special events with limited time pop-ups including the infamous S’mores Freak Shake, Diwali desserts, and twists on favorites like Mac & Cheese and Chicken and Waffles. The fun will continue with interactive chef demos, upscale events, and even an interactive mystery basket competition where students get to join in on the fun. Always the highlight of the semester, two special dinners will wow students--Oktoberfest (featuring Harvest specialties) in October and Holiday Favorites in December. Each event will offer a diverse menu of food and fun giveaways. We will be continuing our student support again this year for Nittanyville and at THON events throughout the semester. We can’t wait to welcome you to the fun at Penn State Dining!

Social Media - We are very active on social media and hope you will follow us for some great updates, giveaways, and behind the scenes footage at our events. On Twitter and Instagram you can find us @pennstatedining and on Facebook, our page can be found @PennStateOnCampusLivingUP. Be on the lookout for special events and pop-ups, we always encourage interaction and love to receive photos of students enjoying our locations and events!

Green2Go - In case you missed it, we have an environmentally friendly option for take-out in the dining halls called Green2Go. It is returning to all 5 dining commons and will also be available at select a la carte operations. The rental fee for a container is $5.00 (through Campus Meal Plan or LionCash+) and students can return their used/rinsed container to any dining commons or convenience store in exchange for a fresh one (if they are getting their next meal to go) or a carabiner (if they are eating in) for the next time they wish to get carry-out. At the end of the semester if students return the container or a carabiner, they will get a full refund of the $5.00. For more details on the program, please visit https://foodservices.psu.edu/green2go-box.

Dietary Restrictions - Penn State Dining tries to be accommodating to every student’s dietary needs and preferences. If you have a food allergy/intolerance, please email foodallergies@psu.edu. Our Registered Dietitians love hearing from students and want to ensure everyone has a safe, healthy and positive dining experience! While all of our dining commons can safely accommodate an array of dietary restrictions, East Food District operates a dining station in The Commons called PURE, which will serve dishes that are free of all major allergens (including peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, egg, fish, shellfish, soy, wheat/gluten, and sesame).

Possible restrictions that may be present in each dish are on entrée cards seen near each dish

Possible restrictions that may be present in each dish are on entrée cards seen near each dish.

Each dining commons offers a gluten-free section within the buffet, where students can find additional gluten-free foods to complement the daily menu choices. For more information on how food allergies or other dietary restrictions can be managed on campus, student can visit https://foodservices.psu.edu/allergies-and-nutrition on our website. We also clearly label what possible restrictions are in each dish on entrée cards seen near each dish. The symbols and what they mean can be found below.

Healthy Dining - Healthy options can be found throughout all five of our dining commons, and the daily menus for each location are posted online, giving students the ability to review the nutrition information of their favorite foods and make selections based on their individual dietary needs. The online menu can also be downloaded onto your smartphone by accessing the link (menu.hfs.psu.edu) using your phone’s web browser and selecting the “Add to Home screen” function in your browser settings. Don’t forget- students are permitted to take one piece of hand fruit with them after each meal in our all-you-can-eat buffet locations, which makes for a great healthy snack to take on-the-go! In addition, there is a convenience store located in each dining commons, allowing students to stock up on a variety of healthy foods to keep handy in their dorm room or backpack. Our nutrition team is dedicated to empowering students to make well-balanced dining decisions and will periodically offer fun and engaging educational events in the dining commons throughout the semester.

Content provided by Penn State Auxiliary & Business Services