Penn State has been recognized as the number one producer of faculty Fulbright Scholars and a top producer of student Fulbright Scholars by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, according to a Penn State news release Tuesday morning.
The Fulbright program is a prestigious cultural exchange program in which individuals may receive funding to conduct research or teach abroad.
Thirteen Penn State faculty and 10 students received the program awards for the 2019-2020 academic year, according to the release.
Applications for the Fulbright awards in the 2020-2021 academic year will open Feb. 14.
The 2019-2020 faculty scholars, their departments and their host countries are as follows:
- Lee Ann Banaszak, professor of political science, and women’s, gender, and sexuality studies, College of the Liberal Arts; host country: Australia.
- Lara Fowler, Penn State Law and Institutes of Energy and the Environment; host country: Sweden.
- Russell Frank, associate professor of journalism, College of Communications; host institutions: Aristotle University in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Elizabeth Kadetsky, associate professor, creative writing, College of the Liberal Arts; host country: India.
- Cristin Millett, professor of art, College of Arts and Architecture; host country: Australia.
- Elizabeth Ransom, associate professor, School of International Affairs; Global Scholar Award.
- Ricky Bates, professor, College of Agricultural Sciences; host country: Cambodia.
- Enrique del Castillo, distinguished professor, College of Engineering; host country: Portugal.
- Carter Hunt, assistant professor, College of Health and Human Development; host country: Ecuador.
- Benjamin Lear, associate professor, Eberly College of Science; host country: Finland.
- Catherine Wanner, professor, College of the Liberal Arts; host country: Ukraine.
- Tineka Lebrun, Global Programs; Administrative Seminar, India.
- Salar Ghahramani, associate professor, Penn State Abington; Invited Scholar and Fulbright Specialist, Royal University of Law and Economics, Cambodia.