State College Police warn against excessive drinking, loud parties for State Patty's Day

State Patty's Day 2011

Collegian file photo from Feb. 26, 2011.

The State College Police Department declined to comment on the anticipation of the upcoming weekend — State Patty’s.

However, the department sent out a press release to residents of various apartment complexes in regards to the consequences that may fall on to anyone who participates in excessive drinking or partying over the weekend.

In 2011, crime and alcohol offenses that weekend were at its worst since the start of State Patty’s in 2007, according to the press release.

During the 2011 weekend, State College Police handled 480 calls for service — over 365 more than they had received the previous year, according to the State College action report.

State College Police officers made 234 criminal arrests that year. Fourteen drunk driving arrests were made, 14 persons required transportation to Mount Nittany Medical Center for alcohol overdose and there were 34 disorderly persons or gatherings at apartments or houses reported in the downtown and adjacent neighborhoods.

Police acknowledge the weekend before spring break has been a challenge for the community for years now, but it has improved over the past four years.

Many of the people found to engage in excessive drinking were from out of town, visiting students from the State College area, according to the press release.

As a result, police are requesting assistance from tenants to keep the weekend “safe and peaceful.”

Tenants have been advised to not invite guests to their apartments or homes, to prevent guests from yelling or throwing items off their balconies or from their house and to not serve alcohol to anyone under the legal age.

Any noise or music is advised to be kept at a reasonable level. The minimum fine for a noise violation is $750.

GN Associates sent out an email of their own to their apartment residents regarding the weekend. They said there will be extra guards on patrol in the apartment complexes.

In the email, GN also said the number of parties permitted this weekend will be limited. Size restrictions to these parties will be enforced, and all parties must be registered before 4 p.m. on Friday.

Over the weekend, State College Police will be assisting university police to assure the community’s safety, according to the press release, and some officers working the weekend will not be in uniform, but rather in plain clothes.

Apartment buildings will be patrolled by officers checking for underage drinking, furnishing to minors, disorders and other crimes.

Police will also be working closely will Penn State’s Office of Student Conduct. The office will be informed of all Penn State students charged with any criminal violation over the weekend.

Being that Penn State’s code of conduct applies off campus, disciplinary action will be taken against students who are arrested or cited during this weekend, according to the release.

Email reporter

Follow on Twitter

More stories