The person known as “Victim 9” in former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky’s sex abuse trial is suing Penn State and Sandusky for the nearly four years of sexual abuse he suffered as a child, according to court documents filed by his attorney Thursday.

The man known as “Victim 9” is suing Sandusky for civil assault and battery, and seeks recovery of compensatory and punitive damages for the lifelong injuries he suffered and will continue to suffer, according to the documents.

The man is suing the university on claims on four separate grounds of negligence, liability for concerted tortious conduct, intentional misrepresentations and intentional infliction of emotional distress, according to the documents. He is seeking recovery of compensatory and punitive damages for Penn State’s role in aiding, abetting and enabling Sandusky’s pedophilia, according to the documents.

The attorney for the man known as “Victim 9” argues in the court documents that the “topmost” administrators of Penn State “knew with certainty that Sandusky was a serial sexual predator,” but the university valued the reputation of the football program more than the safety of children and did not report the abuse to law enforcement.

The university provided Sandusky with the “tools” to continue his sexual abuse of the boys even after his retirement and enabled Sandusky to sexually abuse more than 20 boys, according to the documents.

“After Penn State knew that Sandusky was a sexual predator, Penn State granted Sandusky unlimited access to its facilities, to Penn State events and to seats at the exclusive Nittany Lion Club,” according to the court documents.

Sandusky “exploited” his connections to Penn State to lure the man known as “Victim 9” into a relationship with Sandusky, according to the documents.

When he was 11-years-old, the man known as “Victim 9” met Sandusky on Penn State’s campus while participating in The Second Mile, according to documents. The Second Mile is the foundation Sandusky started for at-risk youth, as previously reported.

Sandusky’s sexual abuse of the man referred to as “Victim 9” began in 2005 when the man was 12-years-old, and continued for almost four years, according to documents.

Sandusky is currently serving a 30 to 60 year sentence after being convicted of 45 counts of child sex abuse.

The office of Raynes McCarty , who represents the man known as “Victim 9,” did not have any additional comment other than what was stated in the court documents.

Penn State Spokesman David La Torre declined comment.

Collegian Staff Writer Shannon Sweeney contributed to this report.

Lucie Couillard can be reached at lvc5188@psu.edu or (814) 865-1828.

Follow her on Twitter at @Lcouillard.