Fanny packs

Sisters Jessie Taylor (sophomore-advertising), left, and Jacqueline Taylor (sophomore-advertising), right, pose with their fanny packs in the Bryce Jordan Center on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015. Jessie and Jacqueline are members of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority.

Penn State THON is the one time when fanny packs come back in style for the college crowd.

As dancers and other spectators need to carry all the essentials necessary during the 46 hours of THON, The Daily Collegian decided to ask participants: “What exactly did you put in your fanny pack to get you through your Saturday?”

This was Jasmine Blades' first year at THON and she said the captain of her OPP Committee put together a survival guide regarding what she should carry with her throughout the weekend.

As she pulled items out of her blue fanny pack, she described why she brought each item.

“So I brought my trusty water bottle because you got to stay hydrated,” Blades (sophomore-psychology) said. “I have my ID and my license. I have some hand sanitizer. Got to stay clean for the kids. I have some bubbles because I just like bubbles and they are fun to play with. And then on this side, I have a charger so my phone doesn’t die and my chapstick, because we can’t be chapped out here.”

Nikolas Rose decided on what to bring in his fanny pack by asking people that had already been to THON. This was his first year attending.

“I just knew I would be hungry and wanted kind of my go-to snacks,” Rose (junior-journalism) said. “Well in my fanny pack, I got a BelVita soft bake banana bread. That's always the best. Also, you got the almond butter biscuit.”

He said he also brought his wallet, hand sanitizer, chapstick and a survival guide to know where to go through the weekend.

As the many participants on Saturday began arriving in the morning, breakfast food was on the top of their lists.

Bridget Boylan brought granola bars for breakfast in her neon green fanny pack.

“I also have my phone, hand sanitizer to keep safe and keep clean so I don’t have to get any of the kids sick or touch any germs,” Boylan (sophomore-finance) said. “A water gun for when the kids start to shoot me and some M&Ms in case I need a little bit of sugar.”

Saturday morning is her second shift, as she arrived at 6:30 a.m. and was out dancing on the floor with kids on Friday night.

Most of the participants agreed on the “much needed” essentials.