Penn State THON 2018 total reveal

The Penn State THON 2018 Executive Directors reveal the THON 2018 total after the 46-hour dance marathon benefiting Four Diamonds at Penn State Children's Hospital aiding the fight against pediatric cancer at the Bryce Jordan Center on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2018.

With only a few hours left until the anticipated THON 2019 total reveal, some are starting to wonder how much Penn State raised for this year's THON.

This is the first THON Brandy McGlynn has attended, and she said she isn’t sure what the total will be.

Knowing of the cancellation of out-of-state fundraising trips this year, McGlynn (freshman-division of undergraduate studies) suspects the total will be lower than the $10,151663.93 raised last year. She gave a low estimate of seven million dollars this year.

“I think [the total being lower] will actually give people motivation,” McGlynn said. "They’ll want to make it higher if they see it went down.”

Also attending his first THON, Victor Ginsburg has a different perspective. He explained that though he was unsure of the impact to cancelling out-of-state trips, he believes there was “a ton of energy all year.”

“I wouldn’t imagine that it would lower and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was higher,” Ginsburg (freshman-math) said. “It seems like it’s kind of at the front of what a lot of people were thinking.”

Ginsburg imagines seeing this year's total would be “really amazing" for the THON community who raised money.

“You know you’re making some sort of impact but to see a number attached to it, especially such a huge number whatever it happens to be, it’s got to be really amazing,” Ginsburg said.

Expecting to see cheers and tears, Ginsburg said that he may become emotional when all the cards are lifted.

Marcus Benfer also believes the total will be higher from his perspective of being a THON fundraising chair for Penn State Harrisburg.

“I could care less about [cancelling the trips], I think [the total will be] higher,” Benfer (senior-marketing) said. “It’s the drive they have, and whatever we make, it’s still amazing.”

Benfer imagines that, should the total be lower than last year’s, many will be “upset.” Should he have the opportunity to suggest a better fundraising option, he instantaneously replied.

“Bring canning back,” Benfer said. “That’s easy money.”