THON, Sunday, Piggyback ride

A dancer receives a piggy back ride from a friend during THON at the Bryce Jordan Center on Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019.

When the THON total has been revealed and the 46 hours have ended, many may wonder what happens to the dancers who haven't slept or had time off their feet feet for the past two days.

Do they crash into hibernation, or does adrenalin cause them to stay up for another few hours?

Normally, representatives from THON organizations will drive dancers home, since THON has a rule in place that all THON dancers must have a designated driver. Driving without sleep for 46 hours can be dangerous.

Afterward, however, dancers may choose to do different things. 

The THON organization FOTO is very supportive of its six dancers’ health, but members are not going to make the dancers sleep if they do not want to. Family Relations chair Jacob Macavoy said they will do whatever their dancers want, within reason.

“Certain people react differently,” Macavoy (senior-security risk analysis) said. “Some will crash immediately after, and others want to go out to eat, and even go to bars after they finish dancing. We are just trying to make sure they get home safe — no matter what they want, we will support them.”

According to Macavoy, the reason why FOTO’s dancers may want to go out and celebrate their accomplishments after is because they do not know how tired they actually are until they take a seat.

RJ Charno, a dancer for FOTO last year, was one of the many dancers who did not immediately fall asleep. 

“Last year, my original plan was to go out, but after leaving the BJC I realized how hungry I was,” Charno (senior–health policy and administration) said. “We went to McDonald’s, got a bunch of food, went back to my house and even stayed up for a couple hours after that.”

Trilogy members also plan on following in Charno’s footsteps this year. Family Relations chair and acting THON chair Mackenzie Fitzgerald said Trilogy's four dancers plan on getting food after THON — not sleeping.

“First they are going home to take a shower, and then they are going to get pizza, but they will probably fall asleep eating their pizza,” Fitzgerald (junior-health policy and administration) said. “Not all of them have class tomorrow, so their plan is to sleep all day.”

Beth Reilly, the alternate fundraising chair for the THON organization Springfield, had a different experience, as she was a dancer for THON last year.

“Last year my roommate took me home, made me a cheeseburger, and I slept for 15 hours,” Reilly (senior-agriculture and business management) said. “I crashed.”

This year, Reilly plans on driving home Springfield's THON dancers, helping them to their rooms and ordering them food.

“They all have roommates that are in Springfield too, so everyone is going to be watching out for them,” Reilly said. “We always have everyone’s best interest in mind. What is best for each other is best for the organization.”