Penn State club sailing has five members dancing in THON this year, three more than normal.

In addition to its allotted two dancers, two members are dancing independently and another is dancing with his fraternity.

Erin Dinyon, who is one of club sailing’s THON chairs, said the additional three dancers have given her an additional motivation to participate in THON this year.

“It’s inspirational for us in the stands to look out and see five people down there we know,” said Erin Dinyon (sophomore-rehabilitation and human services).

With about 65 members, club sailing isn’t one of the larger student organizations on campus. The club doesn’t assign shifts for its members to be at THON because it doesn’t have enough students.

Kristen Einthoven, the club’s president, said not assigning shifts works for club sailing because nobody is forced to be there.

“It means so much to us that the people who show up are here because they care, not because they have to be,” Einthoven (junior-mechanical engineering) said. “They want to be here to support our dancers.”

Einthoven said she specifically participates in THON for not only the club’s dancers, but also for one of her mom’s close friends, who passed away from cancer.

One of the members standing with the club isn’t actually a member of club sailing anymore.

Sarah Ross, who graduated in December with a degree in international politics, is an alumna of the club. She came back for this year’s THON because two of her roommates are among Club Sailing’s five dancers.

Both of the roommates, coincidentally, are also named Sarah. Sarah Kulp is one of the members officially representing club sailing on the floor, while Sarah Darr is on the floor as an independent dancer.

“They’ve worked hard for this,” Ross said. “I’m so proud of them.”