THON 2018, Saturday night, mens tennis

Men’s tennis performs their lip sync routine during Saturday night’s pep rally during THON 2018 on February 18, 2018.

Penn State has had a packed schedule to start off the season playing multiple meets over the weekend. They will be facing off against William & Mary at home this Friday, but a special event is awaiting after that.

THON weekend is arguably the largest event on campus, and the tennis team has been a big part of the action with Athlete Hour at their facility and the Pep Rally. Coach Jeff Zinn spoke highly of this tradition and also on his support for THON.

“They love this and it couldn’t be for a better fundraiser. It’s so lucky that we are at home for the weekend and we scheduled to have Saturday off so they can have a lot of fun,” Zinn said.

“They put a lot of effort into it and they have a blast. It’s good for the team, the school and the charities and it’s a win-win for everybody so we always try to be a part of it,” Zinn added.

Junior Noah Sutter and sophomore Chris Kuhnle will be participating in both this year and shared their thoughts of being involved.

“I’ve done THON since my freshman year so this is my third time doing it. It is in season, but we find time to try to learn a dance because it’s fun for all of us and it’s something we rarely get to do,” Sutter said.

“This will be my second year doing it. Had an amazing experience and can’t wait to get back out there again and do it every year,” Kuhnle added.

They are also proud of their involvement in such a large event for a great cause.

THON 2018, Saturday night, Men's tennis

Men’s tennis dives into the pep rally during Saturday night’s pep rally during THON 2018 on February 18, 2018.

“It’s unbelievable. This is the largest student-run philanthropic event in the world and it’s nice to be a part of that,” Sutter said. “We’ve such a large population that we can be a part of it, and it’s fun when the athletes can get involved, too.”

“It really brings everyone together under one cause and unites the campus. Everyone has a great time and is doing it for the kids,” Kuhnle said.

The athletes also shared a bit of the details for their Pep Rally performance, perhaps something involving lighting or light dancing.

“For the Athlete Hour, we always just have fun with the kids in the mini tennis courts,” Sutter said. “For the Pep Rally, we’ve always given our best but we’ve got something really special this year that would light up the stage.”

“We are really going to light it up this year and you should really keep your eyes on us,” Kuhnle said.