St. Patrick's Day Weekend

The Phyrst forming a line on St. Patrick's Day Weekend on Friday, March 16, 2018.

After THON, many dancers grabbed a bite to eat at Chipotle or headed directly home to crash after being up and on their feet for 46 hours.

Other dancers still had energy after the 46-hour dancing weekend and headed to the bars in downtown State College to celebrate the $10,621,683.76 raised to benefit childhood cancer.

Champs Downtown hosted a THON Afterparty Dancer Appreciation Event that started at 4 p.m. and featured DJ Shevy.

Sydney Manwiller danced for her organization NSSLHA, National Student Speech Hearing Language Society, and made the choice to stop drinking alcohol in the weeks leading up to THON weekend.

Manwiller (senior-communication sciences and disorders) and a few of her close friends headed to Champs Downtown for a few dirty Sprites.

“I am proud of myself for making it through THON and I wanted to celebrate,” Manwiller said. “I haven’t drank [alcohol] since January so I thought I deserved to celebrate at the Champs Afterparty.”

Gabrielle Houser, the second dancer from NSSLHA, enjoyed a nice dinner with her family who came to the Bryce Jordan Center to watch her dance. After, she headed to Champs Downtown to celebrate with Manwiller.

“[Dancing in THON] was an amazing experience and I’m happy I got to be a part of it, but I’m also so happy that it is over,” Houser (senior-communication sciences and disorders) said. “Many dancers were struggling physically and emotionally on the floor and I couldn’t wait to finally be able to sit down and relax.

State Patty's, Champs

State Patty's attendees wait outside Champ's on 139 S. Allen St. on Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.

“I figured I might as well sit down at Champs with [Manwiller] and our friends and celebrate not only us making it through dancing, but also celebrate the ten million dollars that was raised for the kids,” she added.

The Phyrst on Beaver Avenue also hosted a THON afterparty where the band Burn Unit made a special Sunday appearance.

Dancers can also bring their dancer number to receive a bracelet offering free cover to the Phyrst from Feb. 17 to Feb. 24.

“If you danced in THON, you dance for free at the Phyrst for a week,” a post from the Phyrst’s Instagram page reads.

Houser said that after spending time at Champs Downtown, her and Manwiller planned to get their special bracelet from the Phyrst.

“It’s nice to see the businesses [in downtown State College] try and give back to the dancers. It shows how much this whole community comes together in support of THON and of ending childhood cancer,” she said.

Olivia Cataldo danced for the Italian Student Society and decided to spend a few more hours at Champs Downtown before turning in for the night.

“I figured, if I just stayed up for 46 hours straight, I could do a few more [hours] at one of the bars,” Cataldo (senior-journalism) said. “A lot of people thought I was crazy for going out but I thought it was would be really cool to celebrate with a bunch of other THON dancers.”