Penn State THON

Student, Chase Rufo (Freshman-Undeclared), blowing bubbles while supporting THON at the BJC on Friday, February 15, 2019.

For someone who has never experienced THON, it can be hard to prepare for the weekend — both physically and mentally. For some Penn State freshmen, THON has held some surprises so far.

Cassidy Zapico was still smiling around 4 a.m. on Saturday, much later than she expected to stay. She is attending her first THON this year with the Penn State Thespians.

“I wasn’t sure how it all went,” Zapico (freshman-business) said. “I wasn’t expecting all these mini concerts and all the crowds this late, but it’s fun.”

Michael Palm and Nick Zarudyanskiy decided to attend THON at the last minute, but are glad they did.

“Now that I’m here, I’m enjoying it,” Palm (freshman-architectural engineering) said.

Zarudyanskiy (freshman-division of undergraduate studies) thought that the dancers would have fun on the floor, but didn’t anticipate having fun himself.

“I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would, I thought it might get boring” he said.

Others weren’t sure what to expect at all, like Rachel Makowski. Makowski (freshman- kinesiology) performed Friday night with Penn State’s club cheerleading and found that the 46 hours were a bit more mellow than she thought they would be.

“I thought it was going to be constant dancing and really loud music, but a lot of the performers have been calmer,” she said.

Makowski also was surprised by the logical planning that went into the weekend.

“I never expected the dancers to eat on tables like that, but it’s good that they do,” she said.

Zapico is already looking forward to next year’s THON.

“It’s a really great cause," she said. "And honestly, it’s a great time."