THON, Friday First Line Dance

Dancers participate in the first line dance of THON 2019 at the Bryce Jordan Center on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019.

One of the most highly anticipated parts of THON is always the line dance. In the first couple of hours, many spectators are still trying to learn, or master, it.

So far, there’s been plenty of positive reviews of this year’s addition.

Some Penn State students love the THON line dance, but have a bit of a tough time learning it.

THON dancer relations captains come out multiple times during the hour to lead the THON dancers and THON-lookers through an inspiring dance.

“It’s been a little hard to learn it because every time I got to the bathroom the dancer relations captain come out and do the line dance, it’s still a work in progress,” Maggie Dormer (senior-material science engineering) said.

Some students are big fans of specific parts of the dances.

“I think the line dance is really fun and I’ve learned some parts of it, but I love the yearly recap of the year that they do. It shows attention to events all over the world and is something to connect everyone to THON,” Jessica Debassi (senior-energy business and finance) said.

The line dance is accompanied with photos and videos that correspond with the lyrics from the line dance song.

“I love the inclusion of viral video moments in the yearly recap, my favorite is specifically the Yodel Boy video and the EDM remix they included in the song,” Dorish Nguyen (senior-aerospace engineering).

Some students may think the dance is a bit hard to learn, but feel that the dance promotes overall unity within the crowd.

“I’m still trying to learn the dance, when just arriving it can be a bit hard to get the dance down. I really just love seeing everyone standing and dancing together, its great,” Jamie Panebaker (junior-biochemistry and molecular biology) said.

Paying homage to some of sports’ biggest moments is a plus for a lot of people.

“All of the sports references like the Caps and the Flyers [was my favorite],” Chad Starner (freshman-biobehavioral health) said. “I’ve been a sports fan my whole life.”

The part honoring the Washington Capitals' recent Stanley Cup victory wasn’t for other hockey fans, however.

“[My least favorite part was] maybe the part about the Caps winning,” Julia Prokopik (junior- special education) said. “But you like have to talk about that.”

Will Lusk (accounting) added “I’m not a Caps fan so that [was my least favorite].”

Though you could say THON is more about the journey, for the upperclassmen like Prokopik, the end is always special.

“I liked the part at end when they bring in all of the past four themes,” Prokopik said.

THON, Friday First Line Dance

Dancer Relations lead the dancers in the first line dance of THON 2019 at the Bryce Jordan Center on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019.

The upperclassmen have no problem remembering previous themes, but many say it still takes time to get a full grasp on the entire dance each year.

“Toward the end, because we don’t know it as well yet,” Grace Catlett (junior-public relations) said. “I feel like I know the first few verses.”

Even though she may not be familiar with it all yet, Catlett certainly has some favorite parts.

“I like the pause because you’re not expecting it. I love surprises,” Catlett said with a smile. “I love the yodel part too. It’s catchy.”

Even though many people have their opinions on this year’s dance, Starner emphasized that no matter what’s in it, it’s always positive.

“You can’t complain with the line dance,” Starner said. “Basically everything’s great.”