Old Main, fall leaves

Leaves begin to change around Old Main on Penn State’s University Park campus on Monday, Oct. 4, 2021.

Stipends for Penn State graduate assistants are increasing by 3% starting fall 2022, according to university president Neeli Bendapudi and executive vice president and provost Nick Jones' announcement made on June 16.

Penn State offers a stipend, subsidized healthcare, full tuition remission and fee waivers as a part of graduate assistantships, according to the university.

Students conducting research for their degree requirements and graduate teaching assistants instructing undergraduate classes are eligible for these financial benefits.

Half-time graduate assistants currently receive a minimum of $21,375 in stipend, according to the university, and the 3% increase would account for approximately $641 at the minimum level of stipend.

With the medical insurance premium rates continuing to rise, the university said it managed to negotiate a .78% rate for graduate student premiums compared to the 6% increase trend around Pennsylvania. 

80% of the annual medical premium for graduate assistants, trainees and fellows at Penn State is subsidized by the university, along with 75% subsidized for dependent coverage, according to the university.