Seun Babalola portrait

Seun Babalola (junior-political science) poses with the petition he created in response to Identify Evropa posters around campus on Calder Way on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017.

Following Identity Evropa posters seen on campus for the second time this year, students have decided to take a stand.

Seun Babalola took charge and started a petition Wednesday morning.

"I woke up this morning to Penn State's response to the initial tweet asking for the removal of the posters and was immediately disheartened by such a lenient response, but [I] decided I had to take the necessary action in order to bring this issue into the biggest possible light," Babalola (junior-political science) said.

As of Thursday morning, the petition has garnered 515 supporters. 

Babalola said the fact that there are groups like Identity Evropa on campus does not surprise him.

"We are in an area where there are a lack of people of color as well as a predominantly white institution where many students have felt discriminated against," Babalola said. "This is one of the main reasons why organizing and petitioning is so important — that our university takes the necessary steps that the students affected feel would be the most effective to them."

The petition reads:

"Penn State, a school that has committed itself to diversity and inclusion through various initiatives such as its 'All In' campaign, has a duty to denounce such a group’s actions as well as take all necessary measures to ensure that they cannot recruit for members on this campus. Such a group not only incites hate against many students at this university, but also incites violence. The well-being and lives of many students are at stake when groups such as Identity Evropa are not denounced by our University and today I am calling on The Pennsylvania State University to retract its statement on the tweet that was written yesterday, for President Eric J. Barron to denounce the Identity Evropa group, and for the schools administration to take all necessary action to ensure such groups cannot advertise or recruit on this campus."

RELATED CONTENT

Babalola said more than anything he wants the university to specifically condemn white supremacy, Identity Evropa and its affiliates, and ensure the student body and especially students of color that all necessary steps will be taken to ensure that these groups cannot recruit nor gather on our campus.

"As an activist, I consider it a duty to stand up to injustices when I see them and this situation was no different," Babalola said. "I will always stand up for what is right and silence on issues such as these cannot and will not be an option."