Medical Center outside

In this Feb. 10, 2011, file photo, cars line the entrance of the Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, Pa.

After receiving complaints from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine for allegedly violating the Animal Welfare Act, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has decided that they will no longer use live animals in medical training.

Dr. Craig Hillemeier, dean of Penn State College of Medicine and CEO of Penn State Health, asked for the training methods to be reviewed in December, when the complaints were first filed.

“As a result of this review, there are no plans to use live pigs in training our emergency medicine residents in the future,” Hillemeier said in an email to the Physicians Committee director of academic affairs Dr. John Pippin.

As previously reported by The Daily Collegian, the medical center has been using live pigs in their Emergency Medicine Residency training program.

The press release provided by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine stated that the procedures were “invasive” and the training sessions were “lethal.”

The Physicians Committee has announced that, because of the medical center’s decision to end the use of live animals, they will be withdrawing their federal complaints against the university.

The complaint originally cited “inadequate oversight of the training protocol by the medical center’s animal care and use committee and violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act,” according to the press release.

“Penn State has made a commendable change,” Pippin said in the press release. “Human-relevant methods are a win-win when it comes to training skilled physicians and sparing animal lives.”