The Edge

The Edge, one of downtown State College's newest apartment buildings, is located on East Beaver Ave in State College.

On Jan. 16, the University Park Undergraduate Association unanimously passed Resolution 8-13 in an effort to assist Penn State students searching for off-campus housing.

In accordance with the approval, UPUA will launch Living Off Campus — a website that will serve as Penn State’s classified advertisement system for off-campus housing. 

Last semester, UPUA passed a resolution to create the website, which will launch next week.

“Students will be able to filter through a wide range of different things” Tyler Akers, the student life chair, said of the website. “From how far away from campus [the apartment] is, how many bedrooms…different utilities offered in the apartment.”

The website will also allow students to sell textbooks and furniture. Students who are interested in off-campus housing can also access insight and mentorship. 

In an order of new business, UPUA also confirmed five new at-large representatives at the meeting. UPUA unanimously confirmed Erin Boas, Bryan Culler, Alex Moon and Bailey Spates. Harrison Weidner was approved by a vote of 28-1.

The at-large representatives were sworn in with Kyle Munro, the Earth and Mineral Sciences representative, and Summer Rosendahl, the Health and Human Development representative.

UPUA received a record number of 36 applications for the at-large representative positions. Nineteen of the 36 applicants were interviewed.

The recent approval of the community representative seats was also brought up during the meeting, as Chief Justice Jonathon Kinney provided an update on the situation.

“The Judicial Board is continuing to move forward with the process of approving and recommending to the assembly those organizations which have applied for the community seats” Kinney said.

Vice President Laura McKinney expressed her gratitude for all those who helped at the table for Student Poverty Awareness Week, commending the amount of toiletry kits that were made.

Later this week, McKinney will meet with Penn State's Health Promotion and Wellness department to discuss the newly instituted tobacco-free policy at Penn State.