Campus News Graphic

For many, the experience of biting into a tasteless peach or bad apple can be pretty nasty. However, a recent donation to Penn State looks to decrease fruit-related disappointments.

Penn State's College of Agricultural Sciences was awarded over $260,000 by the State Horticultural Association of Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Apple Program to promote new and ongoing tree-fruit research, according to a press release from Penn State News.

The funds will support 19 research projects and six extension projects that seek to help tree-fruit producers in the region.

The research is aimed to generate better production efficiency and fruit quality, according to the press release. Projects vary from using the samurai wasp to control stink bug populations, to trying out a sensor-based irrigation test system on apple orchards.

Most of the researchers whose projects will receive funding are based in Penn State's Fruit Research and Extension Center in Adams County, which the release described as "the heart of the state's primary fruit-growing region."

Gary Thompson, the College of Agricultural Science's associate dean for research and graduate education, said the college is thankful for the State Horticultural Association's continued support for the college.

"For the industry to remain strong," Thompson said in the release, "ongoing research is needed to tackle challenges and develop new technologies and practices to prevent disease and protect crops."