News Canning STUCO

Natalie Keller (senior-food science) recieves a donation from Isabella Ney, 5, of Millersburg, while she cans for the Schreyer Honors College Student Council in front of a Dunkin' Donuts in Elizabethville during the second canning weekend on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016.

In an email sent to Penn State's THON Volunteer list, THON 2019 Executive Director Kelly McCready wrote about a number of changes regarding fundraising for the upcoming THON 2020 year.

McCready stated that THON has decided to cancel all fundraising that requires travel.

"We recognize that this decision raises concerns and will be a transition for all stakeholders," McCready stated in the email.

Although fundraising that requires traveling has been cancelled, McCready stated that there is a "need to provide alternative fundraising methods in order to engage all THON volunteers and stakeholders."

Here are the changes:

• THON Nation Fundraises can be held and credited starting July 1.
  • Corporate solicitations can begin on July 1. McCready stated that a digital version of the "corporate packet" will be available by the date.
  • Checks dated and post-marked starting July 1 will also be credited to the organization indicated.
  • Any donations made on DonorDrive will be credited starting July 1.

McCready also stated that fundraising over the Fall and Winter breaks will be permitted.

The elimination of fundraising that requires travel started in 2016 when THON decided to "phase out" canning. In November, 2018, THON decided to cancel all fundraising that required out-of-town travel for the remainder of THON 2019 year.

"The safety of our volunteers will remain THON's top priority," McCready stated in the email.