UPUA

Kelly Mroz, director of student legal services speaks to UPUA on Wednesday, October 8, 2014.

Nearly every chair was filled in 302 HUB-Robeson Center as the University Park Undergraduate Association’s general assembly debated how to handle Resolution 11-09 opposing the reinvestigation of former FBI director Louis Freeh’s report.

In the end, the resolution passed 21-15, but this decision did not come quickly. Members of the assembly disagreed about the wording of the resolution, whether or not to take a stance and whether or not UPUA was moving in the right direction.

At-Large Representative Melissa McCleery said she felt this decision shed a negative light on UPUA.

“I will be voting no because I feel this is irresponsible for UPUA to engage in this sort of politics,” McCleery (senior-political science, Spanish and women studies) said. McCleery proposed the legislation be tabled indefinitely, meaning it will never be brought to the floor again.

“I don’t think this is something we should be voting on at all,” Academic Affairs Chair Emily Miller said.

Miller (junior-education) said she felt the resolution did anything positive for the university.

Governmental Affairs Chair Stephen Payne argued against representatives who were against the resolution on the sole factor their constituents were not knowledgeable about the matter.

Payne (junior-education and public policy) said by not voting on this legislation, it was a step backward, and if students were interested, they would have come and voiced their concerns at open student forum or at Sunday’s highly-publicized open Governmental Affairs committee meeting.

The resolution states while UPUA is aware of inaccuracies in Freeh’s report — which investigated Penn State’s handling of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case — they feel the Board of Trustees should focus on Penn State’s outstanding emphasis on research, teaching and service.

UPUA also passed resolution supporting the Board of Trustees Governance Package which states a student trustee is a part of the board.

Steven can be reached at spl5095@psu.edu or (814) 865-1828. Follow him on Twitter at @steven613w.