Building

Pattee and Paterno Library on Wednesday, April, 18, 2018.

Penn State University Libraries are hosting their annual “De-Stress Fest” in accordance with this semester’s upcoming finals week.

The goal is to provide a stress-free environment for students studying in Pattee and Paterno Libraries, as well as in the four branch libraries on the University Park campus.

Megan Gilpin, outreach coordinator for the Penn State Libraries, said the libraries are also hosting extended hours. Pattee and Paterno Libraries are open 24-hours a day until 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14.

Pattee and Paterno Libraries will have the “De-Stress Fest” from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. from Sunday, Dec. 9 through Tuesday, Dec. 11. Students are advised to check with branch locations for specific information about extended hours.

The “De-Stress Fest” will provide games, puzzles and art therapy for all students, as well as free coffee and snacks, Gilpin said. These activities will take place in the Mann Assembly Room on the first floor of Paterno Library, near Starbucks.

“Everyone loves free coffee and snacks,” Gilpin said. “But besides that, it’s important to take a break and relax during this stressful time.”

Michelle Doherty said finals week has “a lot of added stress” with studying because she has back-to-back exams.

“The more study time the better,” Doherty (junior-journalism) said. “People can’t always study in their dorms or apartments.”

Anthony Bigler said he is preparing for his three upcoming finals by utilizing the library as both a resource and study spot.

“The extended hours are super helpful for us students because we typically spend our nights studying for finals,” Bigler (freshman-computer science) said. “If the libraries are open 24/7, it gives students the chance to be able to work quietly and understand the content better.”

Bigler said he plans on attending some of the De-Stress Fest events.

“I think the De-Stress Fest will give me a chance to relax and take my mind off studying for once, so I can be more motivated afterward,” he said.

See below for a full De-Stress Fest schedule.

Architecture and Landscape Architecture Library

Tuesday, Dec. 5- Thursday, Dec. 7

· All day: Puzzles available

· 7-9 p.m.: Snacks and drinks

Pattee Library and Paterno Library

Sunday, December 10th- Tuesday December 12th

· All day: Puzzles in Paterno Library lobby

· All day: Wii and bean bag toss all day in Central Pattee Library lobby

· 3-8 p.m.: Free coffee and snacks, games and art therapy, Mann Assembly Room, 103 Paterno Library

· 4-6 p.m.: Healthworks’ Destress Zone, includes biofeedback programs, brain massage music, Penn State coloring books, games and more, Mann Assembly Room, 103 Paterno Library

Engineering Library (325 Hammond Building)

Saturday, December 9th- Thursday, December 14th

· Puzzles and other activities all day throughout the week

Saturday, December 9th:

· Surprise coffee hours, students: bring your own cup

Sunday, December 10th:

· 6-7 p.m.: snacks and drinks

Monday, December 11th- Wednesday, December 13th:

· 10-11 a.m. and 6-7 p.m.: snacks and drinks

Physical and Mathematical Sciences Library (second floor, Davey Lab)

Monday, December 11th- Thursday, December 14th

· All day: Snacks and drinks, while they last

· All day: Puzzles and other activities available