Political debate will spark this spring.

The "Great Debate," an event co-hosted by the Penn State College Republicans and the Penn State College Democrats and co-sponsored by organizations across campus, is returning to Penn State on Monday, April 27.

The debate will be between former Representative Barney Frank (Democrat-Massachusetts) and former Rrepresentative Ron Paul (Republican-Texas), College Democrats President Ryan Valencia said.

Valencia (junior-international relations and history) said these are two distinguished and respected statesmen who represent two very different ideologies.

The event will be moderated by Schreyer Honors College Dean Christian Brady, Valencia said, and the theme will be the role of government in civil society, with a focus of the social and economic issues of today.

"We hope the debate will foster civic engagement and political discourse," 2014-15 College Republicans President Brandon Matsner (senior-economics and political science) said.

The debate will be held at 8 p.m. in the Schwab Auditorium.

Students may pick up their free tickets with their Penn State ID+ cards from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 22 and 23 in room 310 HUB-Robeson Center or from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 24 on the HUB ground floor.

Lauren Davis can be reached at lnd5108@psu.edu or (814) 865-1828. Follow her on Twitter @34_laurendavis.