UPDATE 4:35 p.m.:THON Public Relations Captain Lauren Hoyt said she is unsure how Chi Omega will participate in THON weekend following the closing of its Penn State chapter, but that former members could come to support THON on their own, but would not be an established organization.

The Penn State Nu Gamma chapter of Chi Omega notified the Panhellenic Executive Board last night that it is closing its chapter at Penn State.

The collective decision was made between the Nu Gamma chapter members and Chi Omega’s National Organization, Panhellenic Council Vice President of Communications Pamela Gramlich said.

Gramlich confirmed that an email was sent about the closing of the sorority, and added “we don’t have any support yet because we haven’t been able to contact the national organization,” as to the reason for the decision.

Penn State Panhellenic President Meagan DeMallie said the Panhellenic Council did not take part in the decision to close the chapter, and they are hoping to have more information later today regarding the reasons for the closing.

The sorority was formerly under investigation by the Panhellenic Council beginning in December 2012 after an "offensive" photo was discovered by the council depicting members of Chi Omega dressed in ponchos and sombreros. The women in the picture were also holding signs, one of which read, “Will mow lawn for weed + beer” and another, “I don’t cut grass I smoke it.”

The sorority immediately apologized for the photo and for "portraying inappropriate and untrue stereotypes" via a statement following the incident in December 2012.

Other organizations, like the Panhellenic Executive Board and the Chi Omega headquarters, released statements of disappointment following the release of the photo.

In a statement released following the incident, the Panhellenic Council Executive Board said, "We are addressing the situation immediately with the members of the chapter in conjunction with their national headquarters.”

Check back with collegian.psu.edu throughout the day for more updates.

Annemarie Butkiewicz can be reached at apb5186@psu.edu or (814) 865-1828. Follow her on Twitter at @anniebutkiewicz.