Crimes and Court

Penn State and a former student settled a federal lawsuit out of court on Friday over a sexual misconduct case.

The student sued the university in January 2018, claiming Penn State did not engage in a fair due process during the investigation of the alleged misconduct.

The suit stemmed from the university's handling of allegations that the student, referred to as John Doe, sexually assaulted another student, Jane Roe, in a dorm room in 2014.

On Aug. 9, 2014, Doe and Roe — who were both freshmen at the time — engaged in sexual acts in Doe's room, which Roe later reported to be non-consensual, as previously reported by The Daily Collegian. Doe maintained the acts were consensual.

Penn State suspended Doe in January 2016. He claimed the university's handling of sexual assault cases favors women over men.

In his suit, Doe sought damages and wanted to invalidate his two-semester suspension.

Doe denied the allegations and said there were inconsistencies in the investigation. Penn State's Title IX panel also required Doe to prove he had consent.

His Penn State manuscript labeled him as a "sexual predator," which Doe said hindered him from getting into medical school.

The settlement reached between Doe and the university was approved by Judge Matthew Brann, according to PennLive.

The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.