The Penn State Interfraternity Council's executive board revoked the recognition of Pi Kappa Phi's Penn State chapter for no less than three years, according to a statement from IFC President Rick Groves.

The executive board made a unanimous decision after the IFC and the fraternity's national chapter completed a joint investigation into the fraternity, according to the statement.

Pi Kappa Phi was charged with violations of university and IFC policies, including hazing, alcohol violations, disorderly conduct, providing false information, hosting unregistered social functions and violating the terms of suspension during the investigation, according to the statement.

Though Pi Kappa Phi will be permitted to reopen at Penn State in fall 2017, according to a press release issued by its national chapter, no members may live in the house until April 2018.

Furthermore, current members will not be permitted to have any affiliation with the chapter when it reopens in 2017, according to the release.

In December, Old Main received an anonymous letter alleging members of the fraternity were hazed. Its national chapter placed the fraternity on suspension in February for violating its risk management policy and standards of conduct.

“The cause for the need for a decision like this really has me disappointed,” Stephen DiOrio, president of the Penn State Pi Kappa Phi Alumni Network, said.

An aspect of the risk management policy the fraternity violated related to controlling social events, DiOrio said, including policies to make alcohol available only to those who are over 21, while keeping it away from those who are underage.

By hosing two social events, one on March 17 and another on March 20, the fraternity violated the sanctions levied against it, DiOrio said.

DiOrio said his understanding is that the IFC has monitors who walk around near the fraternities to see if they are abiding by social rules.

Those monitors saw people going into the Pi Kappa Phi house for a social event, he said.

“There was a no mistake policy, they were already on thin ice,” DiOrio said.

In addition to violating policies regarding underage drinking, the initial suspension was partially based off of the fraternity not following ritual guidelines regarding education, such as teaching members about the chapter’s history, he said.

The national headquarters also revoked the chapter's charter, according to the statement.

National headquarters are helping the chapter decide what to do with the house until 2018, DiOrio said.

The alumni coorperation owns the house and is lisenced by the borough to rent the facility and operate it as a fratentiy, he said. Because Pi Kappa Phi’s Penn State chapter is no longer recognized as a fraternity, the alumni cooperation cannot operate the house as a fraternity.

Two options under consideration are seeking a license to rent the house as a boarding house to independents, DiOrio said, or renting the house to a different fraternity.

"These activities both shameful and inexcusable," Groves said in his statement. "In the eyes of the Interfraternity Council, and the chapters we represent, the Alpha Mu Chapter of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity has forfeited their privilege to count themselves among us."

Meghan Garrity can be reached at meg5434@psu.edu or (814) 865-1828. Follow her on Twitter @meg_garrity.

Natalie Weston can be reached at nww5074@psu.edu or (814) 865-1828. Follow her on Twitter @NatalieKWeston.