Penn State Football Homecoming Rutgers

The homecoming queen and king are crowned during the Penn State homecoming game against Rutgers at Beaver Stadium on Saturday Nov. 11, 2017.

The Penn State Homecoming Executive Court and Royalty Committee announced Tuesday morning changes to how typical courts are selected.

The titles of "Homecoming King and Queen" will be eliminated.

In addition, the male to female ratio representation — typically five males and five females — will be replaced with a different selection of individuals, according to a press release.

"In an effort to embrace diversity and gender inclusivity within our community, ten candidates who capture the essence of the values we hold true as a university will be chosen, regardless of their gender, gender identity, and/or gender expression," the release states.

Though in past years the top two student court members were acknowledged as "King and Queen," Homecoming plans to instead recognize these two members with the "Guide State Forward Award."

“To us, it’s less about what a student looks like on paper and more about embracing the whole person and the unique experiences and backgrounds of each Penn Stater,” Ally Berdan, executive director for Homecoming 2018, said.

Starting April 10, Penn State students will be able to nominate rising senior peers for a Homecoming court spot.

POLL: What do you think about the change?

You voted: