Flu Vaccine Miscarriages

FILE - In this Aug. 27, 2010 file photo, a nurse practitioner prepares a flu vaccination in Rockville, Md. A puzzling study of U.S. pregnancies suggests that women who received back-to-back flu shots between 2010 and 2012 _ after a new swine flu vaccine came out _ more often had miscarriages. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

It is no secret that the first few weeks of the fall semester are filled with coughing, sneezing and occasional visits to University Health services.

All of the incoming students (and germs) combined with the typically abysmal weather in state college makes for a killer cold — many have been there.

Starting this summer, Penn State will begin to launch a student health insurance requirement, meaning that all full-time students must have proof of adequate coverage or purchase the Penn State Student Health Insurance plan (SHIP).

This new requirement will be imposed in fall of 2019, with online health insurance forms being sent out to students this summer as a first step. All Penn State undergraduate students that are enrolled in 12 or more credits will be required to meet the new criteria.

All students will be notified prior to fall of 2019, at which time they will be able to determine the next steps to be taken towards effective coverage.

The University is implementing this because of the rising health concerns on campus, noting that many students have not been able to receive the care they need due to coverage.

Health care, especially if uninsured, can be incredibly expensive. So much so, that it can amount to debt that would then impede academic success.

One of the more pressing concerns about this new requirement is the perceived financial difficulties. Penn state will communicate more on cost management in the upcoming months.

SHIP is “a platinum-level health insurance plan with a low deductible and a capped out-of-pocket maximum,” according to Penn State News. Rates for the 2018-2019 individual plan are $2,619 annually, according to UHS.

With the new policy, Penn State will surely see an increased awareness of healthcare on campus, and hopefully a few less runny noses come fall 2019.

To check to see if your current plan meets the new requirements, you can access the information online.