UPUA meeting, Laura McKinney

UPUA President Laura McKinney speaks at the meeting at the HUB-Robeson Center on Wednesday, April 24, 2019.

Having an international pen pal may already be common practice for some Penn State students. But, thanks to the University Park Undergraduate Association, that number may be growing soon.

In partnership with Penn State International Student Council, UPUA is kick-starting an international pen pal project between current students and future international students called Penn State Pals. Through the initiative, students are paired with incoming international students to form "meaningful mentor-mentee relationships" aimed to assist international students in becoming acclimated to campus life before starting at University Park, according to its mission statement.

The program is designed to “build strong friendships with students on campus, develop greater confidence in their decision to come to Penn State and acquire a head start on all that PSU has to offer.”

Any current University Park student can sign up through the Google Form link and will be notified of acceptance or rejection within a week of applying.

Responsibilities for accepted applicants include weekly meetings with mentees, attending two Penn State-related events per month for the first two months, filling out monthly surveys and maintaining contact with program coordinators.